Xperience X-Zone

Monday, April 17, 2006

Suit Up!


“Suit Up!” That is the favorite saying Neil Patrick Harris’ character, Barney, on the new C.B.S. hit How I met your Mother. That’s fine for Barney, he likes to “Suit up”, go out on the town, meet and impress women. But, that is because he is a suit guy. Suit guys are comfortable in suits. I was getting ready for a funeral this morning and while I was preparing to “Suit up” I thought about how in a lot of churches like ours I would be expected to wear suit every day, or at least a business casual look. Thank goodness I’m not expected to do that here at F.B.C., Pine Bluff.

There is a great freedom here to be myself, which is one thing I think we could use a lot more of in churches today. We have kind of a 3M staff here where everybody has their own style and input but this all works together in the end for the common good. If you like to “Suit up” I’m not trying to rain on your parade. In fact I think you rock, in the words of AC/DC “I salute youuuuu…..”

Anyway, enough rambling, here’s the deal. I’m convinced of that Rick Warren thing about how God has created us all with a S.H.A.P.E. (Spiritual gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personalities, life Experiences). Could I learn to “Suit Up” and blend at a First Baptist type church? Sure. But, why would I? God made me like I am, to reach a certain group of people, whom He knew He would be bringing across my path through out my life’s journey.

What I’m trying to say is, we waste so much time here on this planet trying to change things in us and others that God never intended for us to change. And so little time trying to change the things that God called us to change. So, whether you wear Armani, Old Navy, Gap, or Goodwill, next time you “Suit up” think about how great it is to be the person God designed you to be years before he gave your parents the blueprints.

1 Comments:

  • Aaah. Finally. I noticed you mentioned life's "journey." Is it subliminal messaging? Great post!

    By Blogger Jeff Noble, at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home