Xperience X-Zone

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Half Baked (More than a stoner movie)
























Do you have any projects that are half-baked, half-done, incomplete. Most of the time my projects are like the Death Star in Star Wars. They blow up in my face before I ever complete them. Right now my new floor at home is down but still needs trim. The inside of my house is as close to being remodeled as it will ever get, but the outside has hardly been touched. My car has softball equipment from last season still in the trunk that I will use again starting this week. My yard has been mowed but not trimmed. My mail box has two of the four numbers in our address, or maybe just one now, I’m not sure. My metal building has been up for over a year now but hasn’t been secured to the ground like I initially intended. I have more unfinished projects than a nerd has Lord of the Ring figurines.

I was reading in Nehemiah (my favorite book of the Bible) today. I noticed that after much conflict and hard work Israel had completed the wall around Jerusalem up to ½ its height. That was a huge accomplishment that took tons of people lots of hard work. They were at that place where you begin to see the end in sight. Yet, somehow it was at this point that they began to get discouraged. They started listening to their enemies threats, they began to be overwhelmed by the huge project. Nehemiah, prayed (something he does over and over in the book), organized the people into family groups, and armed them. Then stock piled weapons in a school bus and buried it. O.K. I made that last thing up, but the rest really happened. They got on with the work and saw God do amazing things.

My half-baked projects seem to spill over into my spiritual life sometimes. I get ½ way to where God wants me to be and I start to want to give up. For those of you with the same discouragement battles as me, I think we can learn a couple of things from Nehemiah. When the going gets tough, get an action plan. Don’t throw in the towel. Pray, ask God for help and guidance. Ban together with others in your family, both our earthly and spiritual family. Watch for God to act. Then, get back to work. I think that last thing is what I need to do right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home